Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy Birthday, Grandma!!!!

Dear Grandma,


Today is your birthday, and I remember you always writing me birthday letters, so this year I thought I would write you one. Today you turn 87! I can’t believe it’s been 8 months since I talked to you last…since I told you I loved you…since I kissed your soft cheeks…since you told me I was your girl. I miss you so much!!!


I want to thank you for all you have done for me, for all you have taught me for the past 27 years. You are such an amazing woman and always were such an example to me. It didn’t matter if I messed up, you still loved me with all your heart. I hope you know that I always thought of you as my mother figure. I’m sure sometimes you wanted to pull your hair out, but at the end of the day you were happy to have me. You showed me how to collect the eggs, and how to throw the yucky ones out. You always took me to the ranch to give Grandpa lunch, or go for a ride on the 4 wheeler. I remember standing on a chair in the kitchen watching you knead the dough to your delicious wheat bread and always pinching off a chunk so I could make my own little creation. You’d always make me feel special. Thank you for leaving the onions out of my spaghetti or just making me noodles with cheese. You taught me how to tie my shoes, and how to color in the lines. You got me my first radio and my first cassette tape. It was Whitney Houston. :o) You didn’t get too terribly upset with me when I got glue all over your orange carpet in the basement, and you reminded me of it all the time. Thank you for always tickling my arm in church.


As I grew into a bratty teenager you always let me stay with you when Dad was gone on his work related trips. I’m sorry I didn’t spend more time with you. I’m sorry I didn’t ask more questions about your childhood. If I could rewind and do it all over, I would. When I got pregnant with Justy, you were supportive. Thank you for still loving me. I needed that. You always told me that she was a beauty and that you were proud of me.


As I grew into a woman, you and I would take trips to Salt Lake to see Monica and the kids, or go pick up Dad when he’d get home from war. I will treasure our long car rides and our talks. You would hold my hand if I had it sitting on the console of the car. I miss your soft hands. Thank you for pushing me to get back with Jason. You knew we had something special and you were right. I have never been happier and I know you knew that. Thank you for loving him as if he was one of your own grandchildren. He loves you so much too. Thank you for showing me how to be loyal to my husband. You were such a hard worker and such a loyal wife. I’m thankful I got the opportunity to clean your house every other week. That was also our visiting time, and I LOVED IT! You always told me how much you loved me and appreciated my help. I’m glad I was there to do it for you. You always complimented me and always loved every dish I brought you for dinner. You always told me how delicious it was, and what a good cook I turned out to be. Did you have something to do with McCoy sleeping through the night the night you passed away? You always felt bad that he was still crying during the night and I was always complaining about it. Thank you. I’m sorry McCoy won’t get the chance to get to know his Great Grandma. He sure came out of his shell the week of your funeral. He was so shy, but being around everyone helped him out a lot! I wish you could have seen him like that. You always wanted to hold him but he would be a stinker and cry. He was your little red headed cutie. You were so excited when I told you he had red hair. Thank you for starting that quilt with Justy. She will always remember those times when you let her pick out the fabric and line them up for you.


Thank you for always making me feel good about myself. You would always point out that I looked thinner. But there were the times you would tell me that my hair was different. Ha! You were so funny. I miss you, Grandma. I hope your day is special. We will be celebrating you down here. We’ll make sure to make a Mexican dish and hang up your chili pepper lights. Maybe we’ll even do a piƱata. I hope you know how much you mean to me. I think about you daily and I still pick up the phone to call you and have to remind myself that you aren’t here. I can’t wait to see you again. I’m trying to be a better person, so that will be possible. I hope to keep making you proud throughout my life. I love you and miss you so much, Grandma!!!  Happy Birthday!!!!! 






*hugs and kisses*


Your girl,


Erica

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

that was so precious....well written! We miss your grandma too!

Monica Lifferth said...

Love you sis. Beautiful letter. Perfect. I miss her too.

Alexa Mae said...

this is so sweet! and i love all the pictures! happy birthday to your grandma!

Tiffany Jenson said...

sounds she was like a great lady. grandparents seem to make everyhting more special. i am sure she misses you too.

sweet nectar sara said...

so sweet :)
i'm glad you had her, it sounds like you've learned a lot from her <3

Candis said...

So sweet Erica. I'm sure she loves this. How amazing that you had such a wonderful person in your life. What a blessing! I love all the pics you have. Thanks so much for sharing.

Smiley Family said...

Sheesh! That was a tear jerker!! Very sweet. Thanks for sharing. She was a sweet lady and I am glad I got the chance to know her.

Anonymous said...

Wow... What a tribute to your sweet grandma!! I have great memories with her too!! I'm so glad I got to have her be a part of my life!! ~HuGs~

Amber said...

Thanks for writing this! I feel like I got to know her a little better through it. I miss her so much too. Happy Birthday Grandma! I love you!